Southwest Airlines Demonstrates Continued Commitment To Citizenship Through Release Of 2016 One Report
DALLAS, May 17, 2017 /PRNewswire/ — Southwest Airlines Co. (NYSE: LUV) announced today the release of the 2016 Southwest Airlines One ReportTM, which demonstrates the airline’s continued commitment to the triple bottom line of Performance, People, and Planet.
Highlights from the 2016 One Report include:
- Reported record net income of $2.2 billion
- $3.3 billion in cash and short-term investments as of Dec. 31, 2016
- The leader in 25 of the top 50 U.S. metro areas,1 in terms of domestic passenger traffic
- Gave more than $25 million total corporate monetary, in-kind, and ticket donations
- Employees volunteered a total of 149,695 hours
- Had 663,787 conversations with Customers through the airline’s Social Listening Center
- Employees earned $586 million in profitsharing for 2016
- Began offering a Tuition Reimbursement Program that provides eligible Employees opportunities for professional development, continuing education, and skills training
- Improved jet fuel efficiency by 30.6 percent, on a revenue ton mile2 basis, since 2005
- More than $565 million invested in fuel efficiency improvements since 2002
- Kept 3,348 tons of waste out of landfills in 2016 through the airline’s repurposing and recycling efforts
- Donated 5,000 surplus life vests to a nonprofit to assist fishermen in Uganda, keeping waste out of landfills
To view the full 2016 One Report, please visit SouthwestOneReport.com.
As measured by the Department of Transportation O&D Survey for the 12 months ended Sept. 30, 2016 based on domestic originating passengers.
A revenue ton mile is one ton of revenue traffic (passenger and cargo) transported one mile.
ABOUT SOUTHWEST AIRLINES CO.
In its 46th year of service, Dallas-based Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV) continues to differentiate itself from other air carriers with exemplary Customer Service delivered by more than 54,000 Employees to more than 100 million Customers annually. Southwest proudly operates a network of 101 destinations in the United States and eight additional countries with more than 3,900 departures a day during peak travel season. Service to both Grand Cayman and Cincinnati begins June 4, 2017; and service to Turks and Caicos is expected to begin Nov. 5, 2017, subject to requisite government approvals.
Based on the U.S. Department of Transportation’s most recent data, Southwest Airlines is the nation’s largest carrier in terms of originating domestic passengers boarded. The Company operates the largest fleet of Boeing aircraft in the world, the majority of which are equipped with satellite-based WiFi providing gate-to-gate connectivity. That connectivity enables Customers to use their personal devices to view video on-demand movies and television shows, as well as nearly 20 channels of free, live TV compliments of our valued Partners. Southwest created Transfarency®, a philosophy which treats Customers honestly and fairly, and in which low fares actually stay low. Southwest is the only major U.S. airline to offer bags fly free® to everyone (first and second checked pieces of luggage, size and weight limits apply, some airlines may allow free checked bags on select routes or for qualified circumstances), and there are no change fees, though fare differences might apply. The airline proudly unveiled a bold new look: Heart. A new logo, aircraft livery, interior design featuring a new seat and Flight Attendant galley, Employee-designed uniforms, and an updated airport experience all showcase the dedication of Southwest Employees who connect Customers with what’s important in their lives.
From its first flights on June 18, 1971, Southwest Airlines launched an era of unprecedented affordability in air travel described by the U.S. Department of Transportation as “The Southwest Effect,” a lowering of fares and increase in passenger traffic whenever the carrier enters new markets. With 44 consecutive years of profitability, Southwest is one of the most honored airlines in the world, known for a triple bottom line approach that contributes to the carrier’s performance and productivity, the importance of its People and the communities they serve, and an overall commitment to efficiency and the planet. The 2016 Southwest Airlines One Report? can be found at SouthwestOneReport.com.
Book Southwest Airlines’ low fares online at Southwest.com or by phone at 800-I-FLY-SWA.
SOURCE Southwest Airlines Co.